Pulgini Law  

214 Neponset Valley Parkway
Readville, MA 02137

line decor
line decor


What is Accidental Disability Retirement?
Accidental Disability Retirement (ADR) is a cash benefit available only to public employees. If you contribute to the public employee pension system, and you have been injured at work, you may be entitled to Accidental Disability Retirement.

What Standard determines whether I am disabled?
To be considered disabled, your retirement board must find that you are permanently disabled from performing the essential duties of your job, and that this disability is a result of an injury/hazard that occurred while you were working. This means that you do not necessarily have to be totally disabled in order to be eligible to receive ADR benefits.

How much can I receive from ADR?
Accidental Disability Retirement pays an injured worker 72% of his or her pre-injury wages.

Can I collect Workers’ Compensation and ADR?
Yes, you can collect both workers’ compensation and ADR, however, there may be a reduction in your retirement benefit. If you are collecting workers’ compensation for the same injury/hazard for which you are filling ADR, your workers’ compensation benefit will be offset against your retirement allowance. If you are collecting for a different injury, there will be no offset.

Will I receive health insurance on ADR?
Your health insurance remains in effect, with premiums deducted from the monthly benefits.

How can an attorney help my with my claim?
The application process can be long and complex. You have to file with the appropriate Retirement Board and make sure the application is complete, with all the necessary medical evidence and paperwork. You will be examined and your medical condition evaluated by a regional medical panel. You may be denied and need to appeal timely. You will also be required to attend a Hearing before the Retirement Board.
An experienced attorney can assist you in every step of the process. They can help you file the initial application, make sure that forms and medical evidence are submitted to the correct place and appeals are sent on time. They also represent you at the Hearing thus alleviating the stress from this potentially daunting process.



You can easily contact our office by telephone at (617) 364-4110, by facsimile at (617) 364-9275 or by email at jpulgini@pulginilaw.com
To find our location Click Here.